Okay so here's my story of his birth. On November 15th at 1:30am I woke up with a horrible pain stretching across the top of my stomach (not a contraction). I thought it was just a stomach ache so I tried eating and that didn't help so I tried to throw up and that didn't help. I laid on the couch and tried to go back to sleep, but I the pain was so intense that I ended up just crying for an hour. Sean woke up to see what was going on and he convinced me to call my doctor. I spoke to the dr.'s assistant who told me I should probably head to the hospital. So we ended up driving to Idaho Falls around 4:30am. Let me tell you, it was the longest 30 minute drive of my life because of the pain.
When I got to the hospital I was rushed into a labor and delivery room where they told me I was dilated to a 6 and that the pain I was having was actually my liver. I had HELLP syndrome ( H -- hemolysis; EL -- elevated liver enzymes; LP -- low platelet count) which meant I needed to deliver right away. It was only one day before my due date (and my dad's 60th bday) so I was more than ready to have the baby. Anyways I was put on pitocin around 6am, got an epidural at 7 (which was amazing!!!), and was ready to push around 11. McKay was born at 12:17pm. The rest is history.
I did end up having to stay in the hospital for 6 days because they were monitoring the HELLP syndrome and was on medicine that made me a little loopy, but I've been doing well since we've been home. I'm loving spending time getting to know McKay and I still think he's perfect (even though he gets very pleased with himself whenever he pees on me while I'm changing him).
Here are a couple of pictures taken on Thanksgiving.
11 days old and very sleepy after screaming all through Thanksgiving dinner :o)

1 comment:
Wow! It's a good thing you called your doctor.
I've never heard of HELLP. Will you have it with every baby?
If I haven't mentioned it already, McKay is VERY cute. I'm really happy for you guys :)
Post a Comment