Well, Rachel has graciously allowed me to guestblog this week, and I figured that I had better not miss an opportunity to create my first post ever for our family blog. Actually to be fair, Rachel has asked me numerous times if there was anything I would like to add, and if so, that it would be most welcome. She does such a fantastic job that I've never really felt that I could add much to her already stellar posts, that is, until now. I think it's important that our friends know who we are and to what causes we choose to commit ourselves. That's why I'm writing today.
Things have been rather hectic as of late; both within our small family and the nation as well. There have been political upsets and social upheaval - things that will change our lives forever and have far-reaching implications. The recent election has garnered much skepticism from our part of the world, and people are doubtful that the country is headed in the right direction. It is with that in mind that we would like to talk about one issue in particular: Gay Marriage.
Rachel an I choose to support our gay brothers and sisters in their efforts to gain equal status as citizens of the United States.
It was never a conscious decision on our part to support gay couples in their march towards equality; it just always seemed the right side to be on. We have chosen to love. We have chosen not to tolerate, but to embrace. We have chosen to take from our hearts the hate and spite that so roundly encompasses this issue, and to follow our consciences. It was, therefore, with dismay that we watched the controversial Proposition 8 pass by a slim margin in California, and the negative feelings and reactions it evoked from both sides.
The people spoke, and the outcome was not what we had hoped for, but it was wonderful to see everyone voting, and exercising their right to be heard - to stand and be counted. We will encourage everyone to continue to do so, and continue to respect the opinions and convictions of everyone involved. In the end, we had to ask ourselves if we could simply watch as our friends had something so valuable taken away.
We cannot. We refuse to do so.
This post is not meant to be inflammatory; its intent is not to encourage hate and distrust. This is simply to let people know who we are and where we choose to stand in this world. We implore that tolerance and kindness be the mantra for both sides.
We have chosen love and we have chosen hope. We would invite others to follow.


1 comment:
Well put. No one has commented. I guess everyone must think you are irrational sadistic people. Those loonies.
It's refreshing to see people willing to swim against the tide. I'm still forming my opinion.
Post a Comment