

Check out this studly fellow. This is none other then my grandfather, Ben (aka my Poppy). Is it weird that I just referred to my grandfather as a stud? Well I'm sorry, but he totally was in those pictures. Then again, most men were sooo handsome in their old ARMY pictures.
Today is Ben's 86th birthday. Wow! I really do feel lucky that I've got to know my grandparents so well and that they've all met McKay. Anyways I just wanted to take a minute to honor Ben.
As you saw from the pictures above, Ben is a Veteran. He fought in WWII. One of my favorite stories is from when he was in Germany fighting. He married my grandmother just before leaving and because of security he couldn't tell her exactly where he was. So Jayne (my grandmother) was watching a news reel in the theater and they were showing some troops in Germany - when the camera panned across Ben! Jayne jumped up in the theater and started shouting, "That's my husband!" Cute huh? Like something you'd see in a movie.
Last October Ben got to go with a group of Veterans on an Honor Flight where they fly them to DC to see all the monuments and memorials. I think every Veteran should be able to go. My parents met him out there and acted as his escort. I'm so glad he got to have that experience.

Ben LOVES McKay. He calls him an assortment of nicknames like Mack the Knife and Mickey Mouse. I secretly think it's because McKay is a different name and he just can't remember what it is, but who knows, maybe he just really likes the name Mackey better. Either way...Happy Birthday Ben!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment