Sunday, May 29, 2011

Under Pressure

Does anyone else hear in your head the song by Queen and David Bowie when they read those words (and then leads you to Ice Ice Baby)? Maybe it's just me then. Anyways this weekend I learned a disturbing realization about myself...I am pretty worthless in emergency situations.

Let me back up. Yesterday Sean, McKay and I went for some lunch at Chili's. I gave McKay some of our chips and dip when he got a piece stuck in his throat, started coughing, and turned red. What did I do? Absolutely nothing. Seriously. I was frozen. Luckily Sean jumped up, grabbed McKay, flipped him over, and got that chip out. He then took McKay outside and calmed him down. Only after two minutes could I get up from my chair to make sure everything was okay.

That's not even the first time that's happened. Last fall, something very similar happened. I was feeding McKay some peaches and he started choking. Again, I just sat and watched it all while Sean saved the day. Lucky us that Sean was there each time. I want to believe that if he wasn't there that I would jump into action and do something. I mean, there's no way I could actually just sit and do nothing if my baby were in trouble, right? Scary stuff. I feel very grateful that Sean is better than me and thinks calmly in those situations. Hopefully I'll never have to find out exactly what I would do.

On a much lighter note...here are some new pictures of McKay on this awesome bull rocker at his sitters house. Can you tell that he LOVES this thing?


How great is this face? I see this expression a lot.


1 comment:

Aaron, Whitney, and kids said...

Rach, don't feel bad. I did the same thing both times Jade fell into the pond at my in-laws house. Luckily Aaron was there to jump in and pull her out. Especially the time when the pond was FROZEN and she fell through. I think its not just our husbands that are looking out for our kids...