Monday, August 1, 2011

Big Boy Kayo!

I know I shouldn't compare McKay to other children his age, since all children are different and develop at different rates. Even though I know I shouldn't, I still do, and I think it's part of being a parent.

The other day we were having lunch at Panda Express and Sean and I noticed that another little boy there, that looked to be around McKay's age, was sitting in a chair - not a high chair! - eating his food all by himself with a fork. We then looked at McKay who was in his high chair, completely covered in rice (not to mention it was all over the floor) and was eating with just his hands. I guess I hadn't really thought about introducing eating utensils for McKay to use on his own because he does such a good job (okay, rice is messy!) eating with his hands. You put food in front of him and he goes to town.

So what do we do, we start showing McKay how to use a spoon and fork that night!
**For the record: We know we're not perfect parents and we don't always (or maybe usually) do things the best way.

He is slowly getting the hang of it, although when he get's frustrated he'll just eat with his hands. Here are a few pictures I took this morning of Kayo eating his Cream of Wheat.


Notice it all over his arms, face, and chair?

At least it's fun, right?

2 comments:

the h fam. said...

i wouldn't even worry about it! even with utensils taytum still looks like she's just barely been introduced to real food, the food is EVERY WHERE! she likes to have her own spoon but generally ends up going back to using her hands.

Becca said...

Lillia is 2 1/2 and still uses her hands. she knows how to use a spoon and fork but foods gets to her mouth faster with her hands. i think it's smart-they know how to feed themselves faster. jokes on us for using a fork.
p.s. i love my baby k pics!